holding the fort
My team is composed of our OIC (because she hasn't be formally assigned as the head of our group), an officer, and myself.
Today, I was the only one in our group present in the office because the other two committed to volunteer work outside the office (which is part of the company's community service.) So instead of reporting to work, the two had to go to Operation Smile, while I held down the fort.
I have to admit that today was very challenging considering that I'm still new to the group and I was left with my own resources to resolve both production and uat problems. I wasn't apprehensive about the whole idea of being left on my own until Sunday afternoon.
And so I reported to work yesterday (on a freaking Sunday, the holiest day I promised not to work) for four hours just to lessen my load for today. That didn't help much because most of the activities I have yet to do needed interaction with the users and our Singapore counterparts.
Needless to say, I had to report to work before 8:30am... I arrived 7:56am. I sent out more 61 emails (71 in total as of 10:12pm), which is one-seventh of my total sent items in the three months I've been here. I didn't get to eat until 2:00pm (with no breakfast, mind you!) and didn't get to take a yosi break until 5:00pm. Which directly translates to 1 meal, 1 coffee, and no smokes for 8 hours straight.
I still can't believe I survived that.
Yet, 12 hours later, I'm still in the office. Replying to the email that I neglected to reply to earlier in the day.
Honestly, I'm thankful for the opportunity (to cut down on smoking!) that I got today. I feel a little bit proud that I was able to hold the fort, despite a little disappointed that one of my greatest task today didn't push through (for reasons beyond my control.)
I'm happy. I'm overworked. I'm great. =)
Today, I was the only one in our group present in the office because the other two committed to volunteer work outside the office (which is part of the company's community service.) So instead of reporting to work, the two had to go to Operation Smile, while I held down the fort.
I have to admit that today was very challenging considering that I'm still new to the group and I was left with my own resources to resolve both production and uat problems. I wasn't apprehensive about the whole idea of being left on my own until Sunday afternoon.
And so I reported to work yesterday (on a freaking Sunday, the holiest day I promised not to work) for four hours just to lessen my load for today. That didn't help much because most of the activities I have yet to do needed interaction with the users and our Singapore counterparts.
Needless to say, I had to report to work before 8:30am... I arrived 7:56am. I sent out more 61 emails (71 in total as of 10:12pm), which is one-seventh of my total sent items in the three months I've been here. I didn't get to eat until 2:00pm (with no breakfast, mind you!) and didn't get to take a yosi break until 5:00pm. Which directly translates to 1 meal, 1 coffee, and no smokes for 8 hours straight.
I still can't believe I survived that.
Yet, 12 hours later, I'm still in the office. Replying to the email that I neglected to reply to earlier in the day.
Honestly, I'm thankful for the opportunity (to cut down on smoking!) that I got today. I feel a little bit proud that I was able to hold the fort, despite a little disappointed that one of my greatest task today didn't push through (for reasons beyond my control.)
I'm happy. I'm overworked. I'm great. =)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home