Wednesday, May 12, 2004

long-distance friendship


Last night, I went out for a late night drink with one of my oldest friend Cookie (not literally). She's been living in Singapore for the past months and comes home to the Philippines once a quarter. Most likely to wheat her liqueur appetite.

If you must know, Cookie is the strongest drinker I know. On all occasions we have drunk together, she out-drinks me 4 to 1. To be honest though, I'm a lousy drunk and she has a very high alcohol tolerance.

We started our less than two hour drinking session with the usual "what's new with you?" to "work is my life right now." and "why can't we find decent men?" There was a point when she talked about being away for self-growth (and mo money!) versus being with friends and family. I reassured her, that as her friends, we will always be there for her. Even though it means missing birthdays, weddings, and other important events in our lives. I guess it's just a matter of knowing what needs to be done.

Although you know you wouldn't lose a person when they move to a different country, you somehow feel that the distance will sooner or later take its toll on the friendship. I admit I miss Cookie when I feel like going to Starbucks on a Sunday afternoon and talking about philosophies and life. I'm happy for her she got away from the mess she left here in the Philippines, but I doubt that whatever closeness we have will remain the same if she's not here. But hopefully it will never fade.

It makes me think and appreciate what I have know with her and with all my friends. I don't want to get to the point that I will realize too late how much I value my friends. It also makes me feel sad to know that one day I will be the one leaving my friends behind.

I wonder... would my friends feel the same way?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home