Saturday, October 09, 2004

three strikes and you're not out

I went on my third "first date" yesterday. He's someone I recently met in one of the chatrooms I frequented a couple of years back.

I don't know what is it about with guys, Friday night traffic, and first dates, but recently, the my dates have always been late. I am not a patient person and I really don't like waiting, but for the sake of argument (or non-argument for that matter), I end up waiting for them to show up.

To get on with the story, he texted me around lunch time to ask if I had plans for the night. Given that I've been staying in the office late (or should I say early morning), I told him I don't have plans but I intend to go home early that night. He asked me then if I wanted to hook up and stated that I needed a break to relax from the pressures of work.

Needless to say, he convinced me to say "yes". I told him to pick me in the office around 8pm since I planned to get off work around 730pm. I told him it's a Friday and that it's bound to be traffic, and specifically asked him not to be late. He promised he won't.

In the end, he was late. He picked me up around 840-ish. As I took the elevator, I thought to myself, he's the third strike guy and it would most likely end up to be "out". I even contemplated about giving up dating right there and there.

It was one of those "pick-up" dates that I hate. He didn't want to stay in Podium and wanted to go to Eastwood and so he didn't park anymore and just waited outside the building in his car. Thankfully, he was out of his car when I got down. At least, he had the decency to open the door for me.

Suprisingly he looked good -- sideview. He's tall (5'10"), chinito, maputi, and lean. He was a gentleman, too. He offered to carry me across a puddle from the parking area to the mall. He was very protective and caring during the walk. Or maybe he just wanted to be physically near.

I had more chance to look at him over dinner. He was very talkative, which made up for my lack of conversational skills at that time cause I was too tired and puyat. We ended up having a long dinner since he was eating slow and he was talking most of the time. For people who know me, they now I eat really fast. Thus, I ended up waiting for a long time, which wasn't bad cause I got to know him a little better.

It was the night of the earthquake. I remember specifically asking him if he felt it. He told me "no" and that it was just me feeling a bit lightheaded due to the lack of sleep. I thought him to be right until we both saw the table moving. For a moment, I lost my presence of mind, which he brought back on when he kidded, "Do you want to jump off the window?"

After dinner, we headed out to a supermarket because I needed to get tissue. I suddenly had a case of allergy and I was sneezing like crazy. He joked that I was allergic to him. I figured the allergy was caused by the change in weather and the fact that it was about to rain. We were nursing our beers in one of the restos by the time it finally rained.

I enjoyed that part of the night. It was the relaxing part, partly because the getting to know you was over, and the being comfy has just started. Despite the drizzle, I liked the weather. Soft rain while listening to a pretty good live band. A bit cold with a beer warming me up. Nice conversation with a guy who wasn't half bad. It was a mood to be pensive.

At that moment, I missed having a boyfriend. I missed the feeling of being picked up from work, taken out, and brought home. I missed the feeling of someone holding my hand when I cross the road. I missed an arm around me when we walk. I missed holding a hand while he's driving.

In short, I missed the intimacy of having a boyfriend. I still do. But it doesn't mean I would jump into a relationship just because of that.

By 2am, I had to go home. My system was shutting down. We left Eastwood while it was raining still. Kinda cute way, half-running to his car because we didn't want to get too wet. In the end, it was a pretty good date. At least, my string of bad luck dates was broken.

Next?...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home