apprehension on a blind date
I am going out on my first blind-setup-date.
Believe me, all the years that I've been going out, I managed to find blind dates on my own (i.e. hellish date with the guy who looked like a bouncer). Normally, through the internet or the crazy things I've done before. I've had my hits and misses but I didn't have anyone to blame but myself since I organized it myself.
Friday last week, my officemate asked me if I wanted to be setup on a date. For the love of me, I cannot recall an instance that a friend actually set me up on a date. I setup up some of my friends, but it had never been me. I easily said "sure", knowing that things like this don't normally push through.
It wasn't until Wednesday this week that my prospective date called me up. That was after I texted him at the prodding of my officemate. We talked for some 4 minutes and tentatively set the date to Friday (yes, it's today!!!)
Last night, after gruesome hours at work. I asked him if we're still pushing through. He called me in the office and we talked for half an hour. The initial plan is he's going to pick me up at work. The idea of being "picked-up" is not exactly appealing. I mean, do I just wait for his car and jump in the front seat or soemthing?
We then decided it would be best to meet in Podium, since it's right across our office. I asked him what he wanted to do and where he wanted to go, to which he replied, let's talk about it when we meet. Duh! I feel like I'm going to a thesis defense unarmed. I have the materials (which is my CV - personal, emtional, etc) but I don't know what's going to happen. Would I pass or fail?
Better yet, would he pass my standards? So far, he's older (like 6 to 7 years), self-made, and confident. Based from the conversations, he's conservative and he doesn't smoke. Oh-oh. He's shorter than me by the way -- an inch shorter, without the heals. Double oh-oh.
He's also into this cosmic thing, like:
1. We have the same ringback tone.
2. We have the same number of siblings. Even have the same arrangement. The fourth sibling are girls, while the rest are boys.
3. We have a family common friend that we both know well.
4. We come from conservative families (but, that doesn't mean I'm conservative!!!)
However, I think he found the idea of me living in the east and him in the south a bit of a setback. That is, until I found out he actually knew where I live because his brother was the architect of our common friend, who happened to be our neighbor, and they used to hang out a lot there.
When I told my parents about this, they're both supportive. Funny, even they helped out on what I should be wearing. My dad said he hopes the guy likes me, and when he does, he hopes I like him back. My folks know I'm too picky with the guys I date. I pointed out he's shorter. My mom reasoned out, "So what? Let's just hope you find him intellectually satisfying."
Aaargghhhhh! Are you guys trying to sell me off???
Gawd, I'm pressured. It's like this blind date is too serious. Isn't a first date just supposed to be fun? Isn't a blind date supposed to be easy and carefree? Then why do I feel like it's an old-fashioned kai shao, only we're both not chinese?
I feel like I'm making a choice in my life, as if my the future of my love life is dependent on this one date.
Part of me thinks it is. :(
Believe me, all the years that I've been going out, I managed to find blind dates on my own (i.e. hellish date with the guy who looked like a bouncer). Normally, through the internet or the crazy things I've done before. I've had my hits and misses but I didn't have anyone to blame but myself since I organized it myself.
Friday last week, my officemate asked me if I wanted to be setup on a date. For the love of me, I cannot recall an instance that a friend actually set me up on a date. I setup up some of my friends, but it had never been me. I easily said "sure", knowing that things like this don't normally push through.
It wasn't until Wednesday this week that my prospective date called me up. That was after I texted him at the prodding of my officemate. We talked for some 4 minutes and tentatively set the date to Friday (yes, it's today!!!)
Last night, after gruesome hours at work. I asked him if we're still pushing through. He called me in the office and we talked for half an hour. The initial plan is he's going to pick me up at work. The idea of being "picked-up" is not exactly appealing. I mean, do I just wait for his car and jump in the front seat or soemthing?
We then decided it would be best to meet in Podium, since it's right across our office. I asked him what he wanted to do and where he wanted to go, to which he replied, let's talk about it when we meet. Duh! I feel like I'm going to a thesis defense unarmed. I have the materials (which is my CV - personal, emtional, etc) but I don't know what's going to happen. Would I pass or fail?
Better yet, would he pass my standards? So far, he's older (like 6 to 7 years), self-made, and confident. Based from the conversations, he's conservative and he doesn't smoke. Oh-oh. He's shorter than me by the way -- an inch shorter, without the heals. Double oh-oh.
He's also into this cosmic thing, like:
1. We have the same ringback tone.
2. We have the same number of siblings. Even have the same arrangement. The fourth sibling are girls, while the rest are boys.
3. We have a family common friend that we both know well.
4. We come from conservative families (but, that doesn't mean I'm conservative!!!)
However, I think he found the idea of me living in the east and him in the south a bit of a setback. That is, until I found out he actually knew where I live because his brother was the architect of our common friend, who happened to be our neighbor, and they used to hang out a lot there.
When I told my parents about this, they're both supportive. Funny, even they helped out on what I should be wearing. My dad said he hopes the guy likes me, and when he does, he hopes I like him back. My folks know I'm too picky with the guys I date. I pointed out he's shorter. My mom reasoned out, "So what? Let's just hope you find him intellectually satisfying."
Aaargghhhhh! Are you guys trying to sell me off???
Gawd, I'm pressured. It's like this blind date is too serious. Isn't a first date just supposed to be fun? Isn't a blind date supposed to be easy and carefree? Then why do I feel like it's an old-fashioned kai shao, only we're both not chinese?
I feel like I'm making a choice in my life, as if my the future of my love life is dependent on this one date.
Part of me thinks it is. :(

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home