Sunday, February 12, 2006

disappointing cecil

I have been told that I get disappointed a lot since I have high expectations from people around me. True enough, expectations can lead to disappointment when these are not met.

Someone told me that you shouldn't expect anything from anybody. That you can only rely on yourself to make things happen. And I agree with him.

But what if someone promises you something? Would it be bad for you to expect? Can someone honestly blame you for being disappointed? That even if you understand the circumstance, wouldn't you feel down for the first couple of hours, minutes, or seconds?

It is as if expecting people to keep their end of the bargain and being disappointed when they don't is such a crime. Why is it that the blame lies on the expectant rather than the one who made the promise? S/he becomes unreasonable for being disappointed when things don't happened as originally agreed upon.

No wonder people don't try harder to keep their word.

My mom promised me and my brother Hong Kong as his graduation gift.

This weekend was the annual travel fair where we got our cheap HK tickets last year. I heard from my parents that a lot of people attended and as of yesterday, cheap tickets to HK were sold out.

When my mom called me to tell me that she wasn't able to get us tickets because they cost twice as much, I was disappointed. I was soooo looking forward to taking a break. I was sooooo upset that I ended up venting to the boyfriend. Ivan, being the pragmatic guy that he is, reasoned out with me and couldn't seem to grasp why I was feeling disappointed considering that I understand the predicament of my folks.

Understanding doesn't mean it takes the pain away.

When my folks picked me up, I was a little bit ok (after ranting it out.) My mom was asking me how I was and if I was ok.

You see, my folks rarely makes promises. Once they do, you know that they'd keep their word. So I understand my mom being concerned and all.

With my brother seated at the front, I noticed he wasn't feeling moody as he normally would be when my parents break a promise. It was then that my mom announced that we were going to Singapore instead, as a whole family.

=)

Parents never disappoint, which is probably a more compelling reason why I shouldn't hurry to get married.

p.s. I only get disappointed when a person gives his word, but doesn't back it up in action. In other words, hangin lang pala.

p.p.s. I know someone's pissed at me for not keeping my word when I said that I'd stop smoking as my New Year's resolution. So in a way, I am disappointing him.

p.p.p.s. Can we call it quits then? After all, he changed his mind *toot toot*.

2 Comments:

Blogger xieurx said...

cecil, you're back to blogging! musta ka? btw, e-email kita ha. ;-) gday!

10:40 PM  
Blogger d3nd3n said...

my dear cecil!!! i'm glad your back blogging. missed reading you :)

12:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home