Tuesday, July 06, 2004

on love and religion

I believe everything happens for a reason.

About a month ago, I met this guy, Ed, through blogging. He shared to me a part of his life -- his last relationship and the reason why the broke up. I was actually flabbergasted when I found out that it was the difference in religion that triggered the decision to forgo the love that they have. It left me thinking and wondering what if it happened to me.

It so happened that my family and I went to out to dinner and I raised this issue to them. I asked them would it matter so much if I got together with a non-Catholic. To shorten a lengthy discussion, my dad said something like "If you love your family and respect your parents, you wouldn't dare change faiths."

They won't accept it (or me!) if I decide to change religions. Not that I would! Despite the flaws of the Catholicism, I love it and I wouldn't dare change. I have found my faith and belief in God through it. Even if my parents didn't mandate it, I don't think I would change religion just because of the guy I love. There's only one reason for me to change beliefs -- if I it causes my relationship with God to deteriorate. But since I'm happy with what I have and a healthy relationship with God to boot, there is no reason to.

The only option then for my parents is for the guy to change his, which is not fair. I wouldn't nor could I ask a guy to change his belief just to be with me or be accepted in my family. Part of loving him is accepting him as he is and not expecting him to change to suit me. Thus, it is a struggle but I'm sure the decision will be easy when the time comes.

Now that it is more real, it appears that it is an issue and proves to be rather difficult. The guy I like is a non-Catholic, among other things. Luckily for me, I'm not yet into deep (nor is he, thank God!) but I am faced in a situation, "what if?" We both believe in one God and respect each other's religion as a way of practicing our belief. But even with this mutual respect, there are a lot of issues that needs to be resolved.

Do you give up an opportunity with someone just because you have a difference in practicing your faith? Or do you go and try to be together with separate religions, knowing that a lot of challenges will be facing you in the future?

Objectively, I know life isn’t easy, nor is love, but it can be simple. Sometimes the simplest solution is not to complicate things.

Subjectively, it doesn’t mean though, that it’s the easiest thing to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home