Wednesday, June 30, 2004

scheduled breakups

Last night, I was with my masteral friends at Sidebar, Ortigas. Around the third bottle of San Mig Light, we ended up discussing Phil's girlfriend. As it happens, he's planning to breakup with her -- on a particular month. In other words, their breakup is scheduled. This is in consideration of the girl's dad dying anytime soon.

This reminded me of a story about my ex-boyfriend (yes, the same guy who broke-up with me cause I gained a couple of pounds). He broke up with me two weeks before Christmas. His reason is cause he wants out, so better do it now than later. My point is, it's Christmas. Even though the end of the relationship is near, I'd rather not cry ON Christmas and New Year's day and delay it for a couple of more weeks.

I thought Phil was really considerate and sweet. (More than I can say for my ex-boyfriend!) I mean, even if Phil wants out of the relationship, he still wants to be with the girl in the time of her need. He still wants to make her happy even if it's just on borrowed time.

Between breaking up now (as in now na!) and breaking up on a later date due to circumstances, I don't know which should be it. Part of me sees the merits and demerits in both. Either way, it's unfair to one party or the other.

One thing that is clear to me is that a guy should be considerate, sensitive and thoughtful when it comes to breakups, especially if he's the one breaking up with the girl. He should be remain a gentleman even if it is the end of the relationship. He doesn't have to be act like an asshole (and a jerk to boot!) to get away from a relationship.

After all, despite the memories of the fights, hurts, and differences, there was this point that you once loved the girl and shared good and fun times with her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home