proven fact
It is now confirmed.
Baluktot ako mag-Tagalog.
Embarrassing as it is, I can't help but feel inadequate. Filipino grammar is damn hard compared to English. I mean, how are you really supposed to know when to put a -ng at the end of a verb, pronounce, and what not?
OkCupid rates me as an English Genius in one of its tests, I think it would have rated me a Dismal Failure as a Filipino in Filipino if an equivalent exists.
I think in English (proven when I'm extremely mad or drunk!) I don't read as fast in Filipino as I do in English. Nor can I write well. Conversational Filipino is a lot different from Structured Filipino. Most of the words now are Tag-lish or direct translation from English.
When my mother and grandmother talk, I normally do context-clues to understand their conversation. They use really old words that I'm not familiar with and, most of the time, I end up up dumbfounded.
Like, would you really know what these words mean?
mag-urong
magkanaw
magsawsaw
maghain
tumihaya
burara
laboy
These are commonly used terms at home but they get some Filipinos dumbfounded!
Embarrassing as it is, I can't help but feel inadequate. Filipino grammar is damn hard compared to English. I mean, how are you really supposed to know when to put a -ng at the end of a verb, pronounce, and what not?
OkCupid rates me as an English Genius in one of its tests, I think it would have rated me a Dismal Failure as a Filipino in Filipino if an equivalent exists.
I think in English (proven when I'm extremely mad or drunk!) I don't read as fast in Filipino as I do in English. Nor can I write well. Conversational Filipino is a lot different from Structured Filipino. Most of the words now are Tag-lish or direct translation from English.
When my mother and grandmother talk, I normally do context-clues to understand their conversation. They use really old words that I'm not familiar with and, most of the time, I end up up dumbfounded.
Like, would you really know what these words mean?
magkanaw
magsawsaw
maghain
tumihaya
burara
laboy
These are commonly used terms at home but they get some Filipinos dumbfounded!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home