office tug-o-war
I'm at a point in my career where I could consider myself to be in limbo. I am currently being asked to work on two different things, both demanding a 100% of my time. Choosing is not an option for me. As it is, I am supposedly to report to the CIO but the CEO demands I report to him. I was given a heads up by the COO that he wants to pull me out of the CIO Office and put me under the CFO.
I feel like I'm the rope in an office tug-o-war. The CIO and CFO offices both need my skills as an Analyst in their needs in Information Systems and Financial Processes respectively. It's nice to be in demand, but shouldn't my preference allow me to opt for one over the other? It's much simpler to go with one, instead of having my clothes and body ripped apart.
Thinking about my career, I am better off in my CIO work in the long term. The work is something I can build my profession on and the CIO would take care of me administratively. I even have a department of my own (even though I'm the only one in that department!)
However, with my knowledge of the problems and processes of the CFO office, I am needed there short-term wise. I think I can be of great help and would be able to accomplish what is expected of me. But I don't think I would have a definite career path when my troubleshooting days are over. Administratively speaking, I don't think that the CEO nor the COO, not even the CFO, will be looking after me. I will forever be in limbo. No monitoring of my career. No promotion. No nothing.
My officemate-friend advised me to ask for a clear career path from the COO should I be formally assigned to the financials. I asked him, wouldn't my choice be considered in all of this things? To which he replied, "Business needs first before personal choices."
I'm not a reactive person. I always feel the need to have a choice in any situation concerning myself. In all honesty, I would have wanted to make a choice in this matter since I've seen myself something like a CIO in the future. But I know I can't turn back on something I've already started, especially if I know that my knowledge of the situation can be of great help.
I know I don't know yet what's going to happen and when they are going to formalize this. Even though I don't have a say in the decision-making process of the executives involved, I know I'll make good of my situation and do my best.
However, this leaves me with the question: "What the hell is choice [personal preference] for when someone else is deciding for you?"
I feel like I'm the rope in an office tug-o-war. The CIO and CFO offices both need my skills as an Analyst in their needs in Information Systems and Financial Processes respectively. It's nice to be in demand, but shouldn't my preference allow me to opt for one over the other? It's much simpler to go with one, instead of having my clothes and body ripped apart.
Thinking about my career, I am better off in my CIO work in the long term. The work is something I can build my profession on and the CIO would take care of me administratively. I even have a department of my own (even though I'm the only one in that department!)
However, with my knowledge of the problems and processes of the CFO office, I am needed there short-term wise. I think I can be of great help and would be able to accomplish what is expected of me. But I don't think I would have a definite career path when my troubleshooting days are over. Administratively speaking, I don't think that the CEO nor the COO, not even the CFO, will be looking after me. I will forever be in limbo. No monitoring of my career. No promotion. No nothing.
My officemate-friend advised me to ask for a clear career path from the COO should I be formally assigned to the financials. I asked him, wouldn't my choice be considered in all of this things? To which he replied, "Business needs first before personal choices."
I'm not a reactive person. I always feel the need to have a choice in any situation concerning myself. In all honesty, I would have wanted to make a choice in this matter since I've seen myself something like a CIO in the future. But I know I can't turn back on something I've already started, especially if I know that my knowledge of the situation can be of great help.
I know I don't know yet what's going to happen and when they are going to formalize this. Even though I don't have a say in the decision-making process of the executives involved, I know I'll make good of my situation and do my best.
However, this leaves me with the question: "What the hell is choice [personal preference] for when someone else is deciding for you?"

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home