Monday, August 23, 2004

win or lose, it's the school we choose

Geo and I had been planning to watch the Ateneo-La Salle UAAP game a week before the actual game. The only time you could really get me to Araneta, Cubao is when there's a concert I would really want to watch or if it's THE game (ADMU-DLSU).

Geo didn't get us tickets as of Thursday last week cause he didn't want to watch at the Upper A or B level. He wanted the lower boxes tickets cause he thinks it's not worth watching any further than that.

Me, I just wanted to go. Watching it on the telly is not as fun as being there, even if I'm as far as the general admissions portion. Luckily, my uncle got me an extra ticket so that I could watch with him and my cousins, Telle and Xten.


I don't know why. Maybe it's the school rivalry thing that got me carried along the hype. Or maybe it's just the most exciting basketball game I get to watch live. But I definitely know, it's one of those times that I can really see the school spirit among Ateneans. The atmosphere is engaging and there is a certain oneness among the blue shirts (as there is on the green shirts.)



Even if we lost.

Yesterday's game was really bad. There were too many mistakes and turnovers to mention. It just sucked. By half-time, the score was 15-44. It went to a point that DLSU had a 33-pt lead over us. By the end of third quarter, we gained momentum and cut the lead to 14pts. It even went down to 8pts, but ADMU just lost it in the last 3minutes of the game. When the finals scores were shown, my cousin, Xten, commented, "At least, it's just an 11-pt lead, compared to losing to them by 33pts."

As we left Araneta, we were subdued. It was like somebody died and it was quiet in the car. Over dinner at Outback, Libis, we started lamenting on the loss. Xten said this was as bad as a breakup. Like you just want to cry because there's nothing that can be done about it. On my end, it was worse than a breakup. In a breakup, there's always a chance to make up, of talking and making compromises. The scores in the game is finite and final as death.

That, of course, is an exaggeration. Unlike death, the remorse feeling lasts only a couple of days. After all, the hype is going to be resurrected the next game ADMU-DLSU meet each other on the basketball court.

* * *
Speaking of breakups, I saw my first breakup, T, in Araneta. He was also watching the game with his officemates. T was the only La Salle ex-boyfriend I had. Call it weird, but the idea of crossing over to their side of the court had never appealed to me. I guess, on his side, the thought of him crossing over to ours wasn't, as well. This is probably why we never watched a game when we used to be together.

SMS before the game:

ME: I'll call you when you lose the game, ha? :)
T: Don't bother. I'll throw away my phone away by then.
ME: Hahaha :)

SMS after the game:

ME: Congrats. At least you don't have to throw your phone.
T: =)

Hmmm, has he changed? I was half-expecting him to gloat because that's the way I've known him. Maybe, despite being green, he's seen the light.

I wish. :)

This morning he told me that he didn't need to gloat, because he knew it was enough a subtle blow on my Atenean pride that they won and we didn't.

I'm glad some things never change.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home