Tuesday, August 17, 2004

curled up with a good book

If I were to choose between a night out on a gimik or a good book, I'd choose a good book anytime. Of course, you could argue that it's a pretty easy choice considering there's no boyfriend in question. Assuming there is, I'd rather spend the night reading with his head on my lap or tummy, while he reads or watches television.

In less than one week, I spent more than a couple of thousand pesos on books. I took advantage that most of the titles were on a 20% discount salet at Powerbooks. All in all, I was able to buy 10 books, all of which were contemporary fiction. Books by Jane Green, Liz Young, Jennifer Weiner, and Megan McCafferty are filling my bedroom floor and my office space.

Most of the titles I bought dealt with thirty-something women looking for love. I'm a romantic, you see, a sucker for happy endings. At the back of my mind I know that even if I don't get a happy ending in my future, I can at least read about it. It gives me some hope that one day I, too, will experience a happy ending.

Sorta like opium for the hopeless romantics.

One day, I would like to write my own book so that I would have my own opium. It's been years since I have written a decent short story, much more a novel. I forgot to list this in my things I want to do before I die. I suppose it will be one of the top five... I'll go to said countries on a book tour! :)

Maybe I could write about what could have been my happy ending. Maybe write about my friends' happy endings [could be happy endings]. One thing is for sure, I want to write something that someone could not easily put down, who would laugh or cry with the characters, and who would feel content that they curled up with a good book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home