drunk on chocolate
Last Friday night, my oldest, closest friends, Cookie and Neva, and I got together at the Manila Penn for a chocolate buffet. It was a pre-celebration of Cookie's birthday as well as a lot of catching up since the last time we were together was ages ago.
Cookie and I got there early and while we were having a fag, she saw a person she never thought she'd likely see -- her own chuvakah (the counterpart of my disastrous date date.) I have to say though, he looked much better, coming from San Francisco, compared to the first time I saw him. I take back what I said about her chuvakah being worse than mine! Apparantly, he has more brains and a better conversationalist than mine had been, which is earned him 1000pogi points.
Neva got in a bit later cause she forgot Cookie's gift and we ended up congregating around 9pm. As we sat in the lounge area, waiting for our table, we started catching up on a lot of things. Cookie coming from Singapore, Neva from Edinburgh, and me... Well, from the office.
Neva and I didn't get to have dinner, while Cookie had hers. Obviously, we were ravenous. At the back of my mind, I was wondering how the hell am I going to be full on chocolates. I've always been a rice person and somehow getting stuffed on chocolates was not a likely way for me to feel satiated. I have a very small sweet tooth, you know.
That was, until I had my first bite of the sinfully rich fondue. I could go on and on about the chocolates that I tasted but to be frank with you I can't remember a single name. All I knew was that they melt in my mouth so well, filled my senses, and I was in chocolate heaven.
In short, I got drunk on chocolate.
In the middle of the lobby, with music of Somewhere in Time playing on the background, my friends and I were talking, sharing, and laughing like there was no tomorrow. Topics shifted from reminiscing on highschool days, how bad it was for us, and those who made our lives miserable then, to serious ones like the future, marriage, kids and pets (they're both cat people, while I prefer kids.) We got to a point when we were discussing each other's past relationships and how much we abhored certain men in our friends' lives. We had flighty topics as well like taking the next plane to Boracay or having one night stands (one clued us in where to get it best in Boracay.) But I'm sure that the chocolate, being an aphrodisiac, was the one talking there.
A little after midnight, my friends thought it was better to get me out of the Penn since I was eyeing (and being eyed) by one of the practicumers. They thought me to be really drunk, instead of the mere tipsy I was. We ended up walking to Greenbelt 3 since Cookie wanted to sing her heart out. Being that it was her birthday already, we agreed. However, we got to Red Box late, it wasn't worth the amount we were going to pay to stay there. We headed out to Neva's place, bought booze, and crashed in her room.
It was during the walk and unexpected crash at Neva's place that I realized that these two girls are the best friends a girl like me could ever have. If I were to get married, I would have these two women standing by my side as my maids of honor. Yes, they were forthright with their thoughts, even to a point that it hurts, but they also stood by me when the situation calls for it (i.e. what happened that night.) As Cookie truthfully pointed out, they wouldn't be doing that if they weren't my real friends.
We don't get that much time to spend together as we would like because we have out own lives to live. I do know that even if we don't get to see each other for months or even years, we would always have this friendship that we could pick up from where we left off. As we raised our glasses for a toast, I see myself wanting to spend more nights like that with friends like them and I can't wait for the next one.
Chocolate-drunk as I may have been, I wouldn't trade everything that night for anything in the world.
Cookie and I got there early and while we were having a fag, she saw a person she never thought she'd likely see -- her own chuvakah (the counterpart of my disastrous date date.) I have to say though, he looked much better, coming from San Francisco, compared to the first time I saw him. I take back what I said about her chuvakah being worse than mine! Apparantly, he has more brains and a better conversationalist than mine had been, which is earned him 1000
Neva got in a bit later cause she forgot Cookie's gift and we ended up congregating around 9pm. As we sat in the lounge area, waiting for our table, we started catching up on a lot of things. Cookie coming from Singapore, Neva from Edinburgh, and me... Well, from the office.
Neva and I didn't get to have dinner, while Cookie had hers. Obviously, we were ravenous. At the back of my mind, I was wondering how the hell am I going to be full on chocolates. I've always been a rice person and somehow getting stuffed on chocolates was not a likely way for me to feel satiated. I have a very small sweet tooth, you know.
That was, until I had my first bite of the sinfully rich fondue. I could go on and on about the chocolates that I tasted but to be frank with you I can't remember a single name. All I knew was that they melt in my mouth so well, filled my senses, and I was in chocolate heaven.
In short, I got drunk on chocolate.
In the middle of the lobby, with music of Somewhere in Time playing on the background, my friends and I were talking, sharing, and laughing like there was no tomorrow. Topics shifted from reminiscing on highschool days, how bad it was for us, and those who made our lives miserable then, to serious ones like the future, marriage, kids and pets (they're both cat people, while I prefer kids.) We got to a point when we were discussing each other's past relationships and how much we abhored certain men in our friends' lives. We had flighty topics as well like taking the next plane to Boracay or having one night stands (one clued us in where to get it best in Boracay.) But I'm sure that the chocolate, being an aphrodisiac, was the one talking there.
A little after midnight, my friends thought it was better to get me out of the Penn since I was eyeing (and being eyed) by one of the practicumers. They thought me to be really drunk, instead of the mere tipsy I was. We ended up walking to Greenbelt 3 since Cookie wanted to sing her heart out. Being that it was her birthday already, we agreed. However, we got to Red Box late, it wasn't worth the amount we were going to pay to stay there. We headed out to Neva's place, bought booze, and crashed in her room.
It was during the walk and unexpected crash at Neva's place that I realized that these two girls are the best friends a girl like me could ever have. If I were to get married, I would have these two women standing by my side as my maids of honor. Yes, they were forthright with their thoughts, even to a point that it hurts, but they also stood by me when the situation calls for it (i.e. what happened that night.) As Cookie truthfully pointed out, they wouldn't be doing that if they weren't my real friends.
We don't get that much time to spend together as we would like because we have out own lives to live. I do know that even if we don't get to see each other for months or even years, we would always have this friendship that we could pick up from where we left off. As we raised our glasses for a toast, I see myself wanting to spend more nights like that with friends like them and I can't wait for the next one.
Chocolate-drunk as I may have been, I wouldn't trade everything that night for anything in the world.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home