Friday, September 24, 2004

it all started with a text

Yesterday I sent a message to some of my friends stating:

pnta nko L.A. s
Sept29.gv k tel#
ko if im there
na...cn i cu at
least b4 i
leave?Sori 4d
short notice.i hv
no choice.
knukuha nako kc
ng...AMERICAN IDOL
Let's just say some of my friends were ready to kill me after reading that message.

I received replies like "Bastos ka, Cecil. Kala ko totoo!" or "Loka!" or "Pootah, muntik na ako maniwala." or "You got me there."

Among all who reacted I love the funny ones, like:

"Sali ka sa bagong reality show? Ano yun? The Osbornes?"

"Ano ka? Female version ni William Hung?"

"Ikaw rin?? I'm leaving din kasi eh. For The Bachelor naman."

I really had a great time sending those messages and reading my friends' replies. Those who didn't bother texting back, I'm sure laughed or smiled at least. Imagine me, being in American Idol? Hilarioyus.

I guess it was a road test as to how they would react if I tell them I'm leaving the next time around. Probably they'd treat me like the boy who cried wolf.

* * *

Most of the recipients of my texts knew of my plans to leave for the U.S.

Truthfully, I was supposed to leave by the last quarter of this year with my mom. We were thinking I'm not likely to celebrate my birthday and Christmas here. But by virtue of luck (good or otherwise), my mom's papers were not processed in time for us to plan for that trip. Until now, her immigration papers are somewhere in the state of California and Nevada being processed.

The plan now is to move it to the first quarter of next year. Either I go with her, or my dad goes with her. (Somehow, I think my mom is willing to take me along to prevent the late night parties I used to host when they're not around -- according to our neighbors. Joke!) They think I have a better opportunity finding a job (and love) there than here. Either my parents have given up hope on me, or my mom is still hoping she'll get her blue-eyed, blond hair grandchild.

I have a couple of reasons why I'm not in a hurry to leave: my friends, the lifestyle, the gimiks, my friends, my relatives, the low-priced alcohol, the culture, the happenings, and my friends.

There is only one reason why I'm going. My family. If my immediate family is all there, why should I remain here?

I'm still looking at sticking around for at least two years. My brother won't graduate till then. But if it's next year, then it's time to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home