Tuesday, November 23, 2004

jologs night

I became jologs last night. In a really bad and negative way.

Last week, a girlfriend of mine (name withheld per her request) invited me to accompany her to a premiere of the Filipino flick, Minsan Pa. I rarely watch a Filipino flick on the theaters and never did on a premier. But I wanted to get together with her, so I said "sure" with a lot of reservations.

Now, I have proven the validity of why I had reservations.

They roughly translated the title Minsan Pa as "One Moment More". I can't say I agree with the translation. Minsan is "sometimes" or "one time" or "moment", depending on the context, while Pa is a superlative.

Alternate titles, I would suggest: (Although I don't know if it sounds better!)

A Moment More
One More Time
God, please shoot me after watching this film
(Feel free to add some more...)

The night started with a mishap. It became pretty bad considering that we didn't have tickets and we weren't on the guest list that we were supposed to be in. I wanted to run for cover at that time because I was really ashamed to be seen so eager to watch this thing. I honestly kept praying that I wouldn't be seen by someone I knew. The thought of explaining "No-it's-not-what-you-think" or "I'm-just-here-with-a-friend" or "It's-a-free-movie" seemed too lame and defensive.

Luckily, the girl at the gate, who we later found to be in the movie, was nice enough to let us in without my friend's contact.

Needless to say, I had a lousy night amidst all the fans screaming "I love you, Ara (Mina)!" or "I love you, Christian (Vasquez)!" when they entered the moviehouse. Apparantly, the other protagonist, Jomari Yllana, was in the other theater. Made me wonder which of the two was actually better to be in.

Finally, the movie started. I hate it when people talk in the movies cause it breaks my concentration. However, last night, I committed the sin! My friend and I spent more than half the movie dissing it and waiting for it to end. I swear, had the artists not been sitting on the front row, I would have dragged my friend by the hair and walked out. But I didn't think I could handle it if someone (production crew, bodyguard, or press) stopped me and asked what the hell was I doing.

I don't do movie reviews cause I feel I don't have enough credibility to actually analyze the cinematography of a flick, but I really have to vent my thoughts on this flick.
  1. They were trying hard in speaking Cebuano. I don't speak Cebuano, but my dad's from Iloilo and can speak both Ilonggo and Bisaya, and I thought they suck. Much more with my friend who is actually from Cebu.
  2. The movie was D-R-A-G-G-I-N-G. Gawd, some scenes should really have been left out. The freaking flick lasted more than two hours! It seemed longer than Troy, but at least with Troy, there were really good-looking hunks.
  3. The actors do not show the emotions in their faces. I wanted to laugh (which I actually did!) when they were trying to emote.
  4. Any good points they had in the movie, such as quotable quotes, were buried under the bad acting, script, and everything else.
  5. Although the singers who actually sang in the movie were good, I can't believe the three of them sang the whole songs (complete with the subtitle!) in the movie. That's roughly 15minutes worth of movie time!
  6. Speaking of subtitles, whoever did the translation did it pretty bad and too simple that it complete lost the message. The thoughts were incompletely translated that they missed out some good points.
  7. Good luck if they're planning to pass this off as an art film!
Of course, I cannot go on thinking it was a bad experience (even if it was really a very bad movie!) My highlights for the night involved the beach and underwater shots they took. Man, I felt like I wanted to scuba dive right there and then. It was that good!

What I learned from last night: Never to watch the premiere of a Filipino flick. A camera might just appear in front of you and you'll be forced to lie through your teeth and say "Ang ganda-ganda! A must see film!"

p.s. I apologize for all of you who love the movie or the artistas involved. This is my own opinion. And my blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home