Thursday, December 16, 2004

after the wedding

The wedding was very nice, if I may say so myself. I found myself close to tears when my cousin, Christian, kissed his bride for the first time as his wife.

The church provided a live singer to act as the church choir. He had one of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard. He started of with Ikaw as the bridal march, went on with the usual hymns during mass, and provided love songs after. Immediately after the mass ended, he started to sing:

I remember so well
The day that you came into my life
You asked for my name
You had the most beautiful smile

The priest, who happened to be the groom's uncle, didn't say "You may kiss the bride." Rather, he came up to them and said a word or two. Then he exited from the scene. My cousin took it up to himself to kiss his beautiful bride.

My life started to change
I'd wake up each day feeling alright
With you right by my side
Makes me feel things will work out just fine

It was the perfect church kiss. Not a smack. Not torrid. A lingering lip-locking bit for the public to see. Then he embraced her. Tightly. For some time. It was so sweet because the kiss signified the passion and love they feel for each other, while the embrace radiated the friendship and care they have for one another.

How did you know
I needed someone like you in my life
That there is an empty space in my heart
You came at the right time in my life
I'll never forget
How you brought the sun to shine in my life
And took all the worries and fears that I had
I guess what I'm really trying to say
It's not everyday that someone like you comes my way
No words can express how much I love you


I don't know if the should-have-been-tears was because I was moved by the kiss, or the song, or both combined. But I do know it was a mixed feeling of kilig, happiness, and sadness. Kilig because of the sweetness of their kiss. Happy that my cousin found it in himself to finally commit to the woman he loves. And a little sad that he left singledom and moved on to the next level, a totally different plane to what is being shared by those who are single. The priorities are no longer the same.

Among the three generations of 11 cousins (3-4-4), Christian and I are part of the second generation. The first generation all got married when our generation was just teenagers. In our generation, Christian is the oldest and I am next. Now it feels like he moved on to where the first generation are, leaving us behind -- leaving me behind, in particular.

The past few months that my cousin and I shared rides going back and forth our offices made us closer than we ever were. Rationally, I know him being married won't make any difference to our closeness and relationship. But I know things are bound to change. I just hope it won't be too bad a change.



*Lyrics are from the song How Did You Know by Chiqui Pineda

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home