Sunday, June 13, 2004

one of those casino days

My mom asked me if I wanted to go to the casino with her, my aunt, and my grandmother this morning. They go to the casino twice a week since it has become my grandmother's source of "joy". Normally, they go by themselves but today she asked me if I wanted to tag along.

I said with a sweet smile, "For as long as you give me money to gamble with." (This is one of those days when I'm very much looking forward to the 15th! Dead broke really!) To my surprise, she agreed. And off we went to Casino Filipino.

With P200 at hand (approximately US$4 for my American readers), I headed to the slot machine. I settled with playing poker since it's the game I think I have the most chances of winning. At least I get to decide what cards I keep and those I throw away, instead of just watching the slot machine roll hoping I could get a triple 7 or bars in the process. To my luck, I got a royal straight flush, some straight flushes, and a couple of four of a kind. By the end of the four hours, I still lost the two hundred pesos. In my mind, at least it's just two hundred! Not bad for four hours worth of playing time.

Casinos have never been my cup of tea. Whenever I go there, I lose. Aside from that, I often see my parents and relatives lose. Sometimes they win -- big even! But looking at the law of averages and probabilities, I surmise you are most likely to lose rather than win.

In my thinking, if the house often wins, why bother playing?

People go to casinos for enjoyment, but mostly in the hope that they'd win some or they win it big. At first it teases you by giving some winnings (a.k.a. beginner's luck), only it takes it all back. When it doesn't, you get addicted to it, hoping that the next time you play your luck is still with you. When you're on a losing streak, you think there's bound to be a change of luck and you'll win again. Admittedly, some people do get lucky, still there are a lot of those who are less fortunate.

Again, I think, if the house always wins, why bother playing?

Then it dawned to me that this situation is similar to dating. People go on dates, all kinds of dates, with the hope that they get the jackpot -- the one person they're most likely spend the rest of their lives with. Others date just for the sake of dating, a way of not being alone for the night, and they don't really care what comes after one date. In the end, gambling is like dating. If the date works well for both parties, you feel like you won the jackpot. Good date! If it didn't, you felt like you lost the date money and the possibility of getting involved with someone. Bad date.

It's like a winning or a losing streak. Good date. Good date. Bad date. Bad date. Bad date. There's bound to be a good date after a series of bad dates! If you know that your date has the possibility of being a fluke, would you really bother going?

With this, I came up with three moods of casino/dating gamblers:

1. Gambler with money to burn. These are the people who go to casinos because they like going to casinos. They like to date just for the sake of dating, without any expectation of what would come after one night. They are indifferent whether they win or not. I would think these are the confirmed bachelors/bachelorettes. They enjoy the variations and the lack of commitment. In fact, they are just committed to going to the casinos or dating.

2. Emotional gambler. These are the people who are emotional about what they are betting, while they are betting, and after the bet has been made. Whenever they lose a hand, they analyze what they did wrong to the point that they'd likely lose sleep over it. Same goes when they win. Even after they go home. Then they anticipate about the next time. Though nothing has happened yet, they are emotionally overwrought already.

3. Optimistic gambler. These are the people who gamble, thinking that by the end of the night, they would win (a.k.a enjoying the night, getting laid, having a significant other). They enjoy the ups and downs of the game. If they lose, then so be it. After all, there will be another time. If they win, then they persue the person. Either which way, they're cool with it.

I excluded those who don't gamble or date. It doesn't have any bearing discussing them in this entry.

At one point in my life, I was an emotional gambler. Right now, I'm pretty laid back. I'm somewhere between gambler with money to burn (but financially broke as of the moment) and optimistic gambler. I don't feel the need to go on looking for dates. When someone asks me, and I'm free, I go.

Pretty much like what my mom did. Only, the next time I wish it was a guy asking me out! Bwhahaha =D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home