altophobic me
Last night, I climbed my first wall. After months and months of planning, K and I finally headed to Play Underground at Powerplant, Rockwell, with her officemate, Emrys. Between the two of them, they taught me how to put on the gear, how to belay and what to say when you're climbing.
Watching K go up the beginner's wall, I thought, "This is easy. Yes, I can certainly do this." I watched her let go, swinging in her harness as Emrys pulled her down.
Now it was my turn. I gripped the first rock and off I go. About a third on the way, I made a mistake of looking down and suddenly felt nauseated. Vertigo. I immediately asked Emrys to pull me down. I couldn’t handle it.
When I had my feet on the floor, I was wobbling towards them. It took me awhile to get to my senses and by that time, Emrys had climbed up and down the wall. Good for him.
I knew I had to do it again. It would have been a wasted P200 if I didn’t. So with that, I put on the harness, looked for an easy path, and grabbed on the first solid rock that looked comfy for me. I learned my lesson and didn’t look down. I looked at the red paint at the top of the wall and knew it was my goal.
Somehow my body was aware of my altitude because I ended up feeling sick and my knees started shaking for no reason. Like an internal radar, it sent off warnings that I was more than 20 feet above the ground. I knew then that I didn't fear falling but rather I feared heights.
It took me awhile to tap the red but I did it. It was so good to actually shout, "Let go!"
It was only later that K told me there was an easier route to trek, which was the railroad. I could have strangled her but I was too exhilarated with my climb. Besides, there was a group of teenage girls climbing that part of the wall.
I didn’t climb just once, not twice, but three times! It may have all been on the beginner’s wall (all my attempts on the other walls were futile), but hey, I’m a beginner. No ego bruise there. I'm sure I'll conquer the other walls in the future.
Next week, I plan to climb up... then down. Even if it's just on the beginner wall.
Watching K go up the beginner's wall, I thought, "This is easy. Yes, I can certainly do this." I watched her let go, swinging in her harness as Emrys pulled her down.
Now it was my turn. I gripped the first rock and off I go. About a third on the way, I made a mistake of looking down and suddenly felt nauseated. Vertigo. I immediately asked Emrys to pull me down. I couldn’t handle it.
When I had my feet on the floor, I was wobbling towards them. It took me awhile to get to my senses and by that time, Emrys had climbed up and down the wall. Good for him.
I knew I had to do it again. It would have been a wasted P200 if I didn’t. So with that, I put on the harness, looked for an easy path, and grabbed on the first solid rock that looked comfy for me. I learned my lesson and didn’t look down. I looked at the red paint at the top of the wall and knew it was my goal.
Somehow my body was aware of my altitude because I ended up feeling sick and my knees started shaking for no reason. Like an internal radar, it sent off warnings that I was more than 20 feet above the ground. I knew then that I didn't fear falling but rather I feared heights.
It took me awhile to tap the red but I did it. It was so good to actually shout, "Let go!"
It was only later that K told me there was an easier route to trek, which was the railroad. I could have strangled her but I was too exhilarated with my climb. Besides, there was a group of teenage girls climbing that part of the wall.
I didn’t climb just once, not twice, but three times! It may have all been on the beginner’s wall (all my attempts on the other walls were futile), but hey, I’m a beginner. No ego bruise there. I'm sure I'll conquer the other walls in the future.
Next week, I plan to climb up... then down. Even if it's just on the beginner wall.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home