parents' instincts
Telebabad
Telebabad [noun]
Taken aback, I frowned and replied, "No." Pause. "Why do you ask?"
"Well, you seem to be on the phone a lot lately."
My parents know my addiction to the landline transferred to my celfone when I acquired a post-paid line from Globe back in 2000. Since then, the only times they see me frequent the phone in the living room are the instances when I'm involved with someone. Even then, most of my phone conversations are on the celfone. I hate it when my folks eavesdrop on my conversations
Being sick and bored to my skull, I had to think of diversions outside my room. I think I managed to watch all of the shows on cable and seen its replay the morning after. Out of the ten books I bought a couple of weeks ago, I managed to read 7 of them. Right now, my eyes are strained from too much reading.
I did the inevitable. I used the landline. When I'm not on the phone, I'm on the internet. Either which way, I'm using the phone.
I think my mom is secretly hoping that I go back to work soon. She wants her phone back.
* * *
Doorbell
A couple of nights ago, the doorbell rang incessantly. I was too sick to answer it and my parents were sleeping already. It turned out to be JP, a neighbor who needed something from me. I forgot that he was supposed to drop by that night as arranged the night before.
The next day, he texted, "You forgot our date."
"I'm sorry I forgot. But I was and still am sick. Pass by tonight. I promise I'll wait up for you."
My folks confronted me a little later, saying, "JP was here last night and was asking for you. What's going on?"
I explained to them that JP recently acquired a phone similar to mine and he was asking for help as to how to setup it up, use it, and if he could get some files from me.
I thought that was that. Until the morning after JP's visit, my mom inquired, "So how did it go?"
"I helped him out and we talked about his girl."
I think that stopped my mom from her matchmaking hints.
* * *
Grandkids
When you're [almost] 26, single, the only girl, and still living with your parents, you get pressured. Period.
My dad asks how come I had three boyfriends already and I'm still not settled. He's threatening that the next guy who enters our door will have to marry me.
My mom's pushing me to go to the States and get myself a blue-eyed, blond guy, so that she'll have blue-eyed, blond grandchild.
They're insistent to have grandchildren with me because they're sure that it's their own. Until now, I think they doubt that my brothers are the fathers of their own children because of the fact that they never carried them in their tummies. They are sure, though, that these kids are my sister-in-laws. Not that they're really hinting on infidelity. I guess they would just prefer them to come out of my brothers! Hahaha :)
When I told them I want to have a baby by the age of 30 even if I'm not married, my mom was indignant. She doesn't want a grandchild born out of wedlock. I told her that I would have sperm donors who would be genetically tested to see if we could produce good genes and explained to them the idea of artifically insemination. (Not that I really have that in mind. I believe the natural way is the best way to bring children to the world, and I wouldn't mind practicing a lot to get it done.)
I rattled on to explain the scientific process. They told me to zip it. I think they just want me to get married so that I'll be out of their hands.
Telebabad [noun]
- Filipino/Tagalog slang for being on the telephone too much.
- Frequently using the landline to a point of burning the lines.
Taken aback, I frowned and replied, "No." Pause. "Why do you ask?"
"Well, you seem to be on the phone a lot lately."
My parents know my addiction to the landline transferred to my celfone when I acquired a post-paid line from Globe back in 2000. Since then, the only times they see me frequent the phone in the living room are the instances when I'm involved with someone. Even then, most of my phone conversations are on the celfone. I hate it when my folks eavesdrop on my conversations
Being sick and bored to my skull, I had to think of diversions outside my room. I think I managed to watch all of the shows on cable and seen its replay the morning after. Out of the ten books I bought a couple of weeks ago, I managed to read 7 of them. Right now, my eyes are strained from too much reading.
I did the inevitable. I used the landline. When I'm not on the phone, I'm on the internet. Either which way, I'm using the phone.
I think my mom is secretly hoping that I go back to work soon. She wants her phone back.
Doorbell
A couple of nights ago, the doorbell rang incessantly. I was too sick to answer it and my parents were sleeping already. It turned out to be JP, a neighbor who needed something from me. I forgot that he was supposed to drop by that night as arranged the night before.
The next day, he texted, "You forgot our date."
"I'm sorry I forgot. But I was and still am sick. Pass by tonight. I promise I'll wait up for you."
My folks confronted me a little later, saying, "JP was here last night and was asking for you. What's going on?"
I explained to them that JP recently acquired a phone similar to mine and he was asking for help as to how to setup it up, use it, and if he could get some files from me.
I thought that was that. Until the morning after JP's visit, my mom inquired, "So how did it go?"
"I helped him out and we talked about his girl."
I think that stopped my mom from her matchmaking hints.
Grandkids
When you're [almost] 26, single, the only girl, and still living with your parents, you get pressured. Period.
My dad asks how come I had three boyfriends already and I'm still not settled. He's threatening that the next guy who enters our door will have to marry me.
My mom's pushing me to go to the States and get myself a blue-eyed, blond guy, so that she'll have blue-eyed, blond grandchild.
They're insistent to have grandchildren with me because they're sure that it's their own. Until now, I think they doubt that my brothers are the fathers of their own children because of the fact that they never carried them in their tummies. They are sure, though, that these kids are my sister-in-laws. Not that they're really hinting on infidelity. I guess they would just prefer them to come out of my brothers! Hahaha :)
When I told them I want to have a baby by the age of 30 even if I'm not married, my mom was indignant. She doesn't want a grandchild born out of wedlock. I told her that I would have sperm donors who would be genetically tested to see if we could produce good genes and explained to them the idea of artifically insemination. (Not that I really have that in mind. I believe the natural way is the best way to bring children to the world, and I wouldn't mind practicing a lot to get it done.)
I rattled on to explain the scientific process. They told me to zip it. I think they just want me to get married so that I'll be out of their hands.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home