high school blues
I'm in early today. Really early. Like 7:29am early. I surprised myself -- even the guard on duty. They know I normally come in around 9:00am. Recently, around 8:20am but never before 8.
I didn't get to wake up early enough for Friday Mass with my folks. I was still wrapped in my bath towel when they zoomed out of our house trying to catch the 6:15am Mass. So I took my time dressing up, watched Simpsons on Star World, and left the house at 6:50am.
I took the shuttle to work and found myself sitting directly in front of a familiar face. A face I haven't seen in more than 9 years -- since I graduated from high school. Lae.
Of course, I guessed her name wrong the first time around when I said "Lea", but the memories started pouring soon enough. We started chatting about our high school classmates, the used-to-be-tomboys-but-now-married-with-kids, who got married and who are still single, those abroad, who's working where, and the like.
Looking at her, I noticed the changes in her and me. What we were like in high school and what we are now. Let's just say I'm more kikay and more confident now compared to back then, and Lae... well, she's pretty much the same.
I have to admit, I hated high school. I didn't know who I was and was terribly insecure. I remember hating some of the people there who made my life miserable. I could come up with the single most hated person in our batch but I know it would be pointless. I remember eating in the canteen by myself, hiding in the guidance office or library, and drowning myself in books. I remember trying very hard to make friends there.
This is a task for a girl who doesn't know how to relate with other girls because she grew up with four brothers and no sisters.
Come to think, it wasn't all that bad. I do remember telling one of the few guy teachers in school that his fly was open. I do remember making friends with the librarians and staff that they ended up helping me out in my projects. I do remember the great teachers I had that eventually became my friends after.
What's more, it was in high school that I found two of my most loved and real friends, Cookie and Neva. We, who were asked to line up by 2s, end up lining up by 3s. The bunch ofnerdies people who were supposed to go to UP but ended up going to Ateneo and graduating 4 years later.
Next year would be our 10th year since high school graduation. I wonder if we'll ever have a reunion. Part of me wishes "no" and run to the other direction but a part of me also wishes "yes" cause I know it would exorcise thedemons ghosts and insecurities of my past.
Neva, Me, Bianca (my niece), and CookieSuperbowl China, Megamall, Christmas 2003
I didn't get to wake up early enough for Friday Mass with my folks. I was still wrapped in my bath towel when they zoomed out of our house trying to catch the 6:15am Mass. So I took my time dressing up, watched Simpsons on Star World, and left the house at 6:50am.
I took the shuttle to work and found myself sitting directly in front of a familiar face. A face I haven't seen in more than 9 years -- since I graduated from high school. Lae.
Of course, I guessed her name wrong the first time around when I said "Lea", but the memories started pouring soon enough. We started chatting about our high school classmates, the used-to-be-tomboys-but-now-married-with-kids, who got married and who are still single, those abroad, who's working where, and the like.
Looking at her, I noticed the changes in her and me. What we were like in high school and what we are now. Let's just say I'm more kikay and more confident now compared to back then, and Lae... well, she's pretty much the same.
I have to admit, I hated high school. I didn't know who I was and was terribly insecure. I remember hating some of the people there who made my life miserable. I could come up with the single most hated person in our batch but I know it would be pointless. I remember eating in the canteen by myself, hiding in the guidance office or library, and drowning myself in books. I remember trying very hard to make friends there.
This is a task for a girl who doesn't know how to relate with other girls because she grew up with four brothers and no sisters.
Come to think, it wasn't all that bad. I do remember telling one of the few guy teachers in school that his fly was open. I do remember making friends with the librarians and staff that they ended up helping me out in my projects. I do remember the great teachers I had that eventually became my friends after.
What's more, it was in high school that I found two of my most loved and real friends, Cookie and Neva. We, who were asked to line up by 2s, end up lining up by 3s. The bunch of
Next year would be our 10th year since high school graduation. I wonder if we'll ever have a reunion. Part of me wishes "no" and run to the other direction but a part of me also wishes "yes" cause I know it would exorcise the
Neva, Me, Bianca (my niece), and Cookie

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home