honoring true friends
I went to the office's First Friday Mass today and they were honoring friends. The priest said that true friends are found through conflict, correction, and confrontation.
Since most relationship are tested through time and trials, true friends are made not just of the good experiences but more of the bad. He said you can tell if someone is a true friend when s/he lends you money, corrects you when your wrong, is loyal to you, and would fight your battles with you. True friends are not just there at celebrations in your life, but also your funeral.
It made me reflect on who are my true friends. I know I am a true (and loyal) friend to my friends but it made me think who would be attending my funeral when I die (assuming they're still alive).
I never really like calling someone a bestfriend. I lost the bestfriend (of 13 years) I had a couple years back and calling someone else "bestfriend" doesn't feel right anymore. Trauma, I guess. More often than not, the boyfriend becomes the bestfriend by virtue of spending most times together and opening up feelings.
This post is to honor my close, closer, and closest friends -- short of promising I will be there on their funeral.
Those who have touched my lives in one way or another with the special mention of (names arranged alphabetically) Alvin, Ara, Che, Dexter, Elfie, Engpot, Eric, Joan, Kendee, Mariles, Marlo, Max, Mida, Muchay, Ricky, Shasel, Shirley, Song, Tintin, Tine, and Wes. (I apologize if I forgot to put the name of someone who I should have placed here. Rest assured, if I remember, I would update this list.)
Jer and Mayday, I may not see you as often as we would like (or even talk for that matter!) But you will always have this place in my heart as my high school barkada.
Anna, Gilbey, Issh, Jane, and Sarah, you guys are the best. I wouldn't have survived college if not for the five of you. I know things aren't always great with us, but I think these conflicts make our friendship sturdier. Our differences are so big that I can't help but wonder how the hell we all got together. It's like I'm Samantha in the midst of all Charlotte. You guys do know that no matter how crazy I get, I'm here for you and I will take care of you. More importantly, that I will be there for all of you (especially in arranging your weddings!)
Chrysnan, Froi, Geo, Lyra, and Rick, you guys made my masters years the best years in my academic life. The gimiks were fun, but the heartfelt talk were the best. I wish we could get together as easily as we used to.
Don, July, and Michelle, my YFC, Figaro and movie buddies, and my-(almost)-married-couple-friends, whom I envy very much in finding their GGs. You guys have always been there for me... from one bad relationship to the next. Thanks for keeping me in the comfort of your embrace and making me feel loved after every heartache.
Karen, you were there with me from the start of my rollercoaster relationship, until it ended. Thank you so much for caring for me to be actually there (and go all the way to Ortigas), even though we both know you'd be scolding me in the end. Though our personalities are poles apart, I know that you understand me as much as I do you and respect our differences. Btw, if it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have been able to finish my first beer. (Ikaw dapat sisihin ni Froilan kung bakit ako natuto uminom!)
Kten, you will forever be my buzzfriend. Time (and movies) may pass that we don't see each other (more often than not, you're hibernating) but you always make your presence felt whenever I need you the most. You are, undoubtedly, the only friend who managed to surprise me and for that I am eternally grateful. (That means, I'm expecting flowers from you this year! Hahaha :))
Neva, you may disappear from time to time and may be hard to get together with but I know that I can always count on you. You have never made me feel judge and have listened to me open-mindedly, accepting me as I am and loving me all the same.
Cookie, you have been the closest person to me. I appreciate you being there for me and getting mad at me for all those times that you think I'm not listening to you. Thank you for all those times you threatened to walk out of our friendship because I'm too stubborn and refuse to heed your advice but still manage to stick around. I love you for being a very true friend.
Since most relationship are tested through time and trials, true friends are made not just of the good experiences but more of the bad. He said you can tell if someone is a true friend when s/he lends you money, corrects you when your wrong, is loyal to you, and would fight your battles with you. True friends are not just there at celebrations in your life, but also your funeral.
It made me reflect on who are my true friends. I know I am a true (and loyal) friend to my friends but it made me think who would be attending my funeral when I die (assuming they're still alive).
I never really like calling someone a bestfriend. I lost the bestfriend (of 13 years) I had a couple years back and calling someone else "bestfriend" doesn't feel right anymore. Trauma, I guess. More often than not, the boyfriend becomes the bestfriend by virtue of spending most times together and opening up feelings.
This post is to honor my close, closer, and closest friends -- short of promising I will be there on their funeral.
Those who have touched my lives in one way or another with the special mention of (names arranged alphabetically) Alvin, Ara, Che, Dexter, Elfie, Engpot, Eric, Joan, Kendee, Mariles, Marlo, Max, Mida, Muchay, Ricky, Shasel, Shirley, Song, Tintin, Tine, and Wes. (I apologize if I forgot to put the name of someone who I should have placed here. Rest assured, if I remember, I would update this list.)
Jer and Mayday, I may not see you as often as we would like (or even talk for that matter!) But you will always have this place in my heart as my high school barkada.
Anna, Gilbey, Issh, Jane, and Sarah, you guys are the best. I wouldn't have survived college if not for the five of you. I know things aren't always great with us, but I think these conflicts make our friendship sturdier. Our differences are so big that I can't help but wonder how the hell we all got together. It's like I'm Samantha in the midst of all Charlotte. You guys do know that no matter how crazy I get, I'm here for you and I will take care of you. More importantly, that I will be there for all of you (especially in arranging your weddings!)
Chrysnan, Froi, Geo, Lyra, and Rick, you guys made my masters years the best years in my academic life. The gimiks were fun, but the heartfelt talk were the best. I wish we could get together as easily as we used to.
Don, July, and Michelle, my YFC, Figaro and movie buddies, and my-(almost)-married-couple-friends, whom I envy very much in finding their GGs. You guys have always been there for me... from one bad relationship to the next. Thanks for keeping me in the comfort of your embrace and making me feel loved after every heartache.
Karen, you were there with me from the start of my rollercoaster relationship, until it ended. Thank you so much for caring for me to be actually there (and go all the way to Ortigas), even though we both know you'd be scolding me in the end. Though our personalities are poles apart, I know that you understand me as much as I do you and respect our differences. Btw, if it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have been able to finish my first beer. (Ikaw dapat sisihin ni Froilan kung bakit ako natuto uminom!)
Kten, you will forever be my buzzfriend. Time (and movies) may pass that we don't see each other (more often than not, you're hibernating) but you always make your presence felt whenever I need you the most. You are, undoubtedly, the only friend who managed to surprise me and for that I am eternally grateful. (That means, I'm expecting flowers from you this year! Hahaha :))
Neva, you may disappear from time to time and may be hard to get together with but I know that I can always count on you. You have never made me feel judge and have listened to me open-mindedly, accepting me as I am and loving me all the same.
Cookie, you have been the closest person to me. I appreciate you being there for me and getting mad at me for all those times that you think I'm not listening to you. Thank you for all those times you threatened to walk out of our friendship because I'm too stubborn and refuse to heed your advice but still manage to stick around. I love you for being a very true friend.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home