genuine article
Last Monday, while I was on leave and taking care of my passport, a male officemate of mine left a single red rose on my desk.
Before you put any color to his action, I'd like you to know that he gave the other girls (single, attached, married, or otherwise) in the office the same thing. This made me wonder what he gave his girlfriend! Yes, folks, this sweetie has a girlfriend.
Now, before you go on judging the guy, let me tell you this: he's a genuine sweetheart. Now what do I mean by that?
You see, I learned (the hard way) that guys are often sweet to girls because they're interested in the girl and would want to make the object of their affection theirs. Either that, or they badly need the girl's help. In other words, what's in it for them for being sugary sweet?
This makes me wonder if it's all just an act. That guys can pretend to be sweet when they want something. That guys are not inherently sweet. That they are conscious to being sweet, especially when it's expected of them, but otherwise are not.
I realize that some of you maybe objecting because I may be generalizing based on my experiences. I'm sure there are really nice guys out there but niceness and sweetness is not the same thing. Sweetness to the significant other doesn't really count because it's expected of them. I mean, how many guys would go out of his way and buy a lot of girls (who are his friends) roses on the day flowers are most expensive?
Ok. Ok. Maybe 1, 2, 5, 10, 50, 500. But it's still marginal compared to the rest of the male population who are "generally not sweet".
It's easier for women to be sweet(er) and guys... well, to be guys a.k.a indifferent and unaffected on "memorable days". A lot of my male friends would gladly do favors for me (as I would for them) but none of them ever thought of giving me a rose on Valentine's day.
I asked my officemate why he gave me a rose and you know what he said (aside from the obvious that he gave other girls the same thing)?
"'Cause I recall you mentioning you never had a decent Valentine."
Before you put any color to his action, I'd like you to know that he gave the other girls (single, attached, married, or otherwise) in the office the same thing. This made me wonder what he gave his girlfriend! Yes, folks, this sweetie has a girlfriend.
Now, before you go on judging the guy, let me tell you this: he's a genuine sweetheart. Now what do I mean by that?
You see, I learned (the hard way) that guys are often sweet to girls because they're interested in the girl and would want to make the object of their affection theirs. Either that, or they badly need the girl's help. In other words, what's in it for them for being sugary sweet?
This makes me wonder if it's all just an act. That guys can pretend to be sweet when they want something. That guys are not inherently sweet. That they are conscious to being sweet, especially when it's expected of them, but otherwise are not.
I realize that some of you maybe objecting because I may be generalizing based on my experiences. I'm sure there are really nice guys out there but niceness and sweetness is not the same thing. Sweetness to the significant other doesn't really count because it's expected of them. I mean, how many guys would go out of his way and buy a lot of girls (who are his friends) roses on the day flowers are most expensive?
Ok. Ok. Maybe 1, 2, 5, 10, 50, 500. But it's still marginal compared to the rest of the male population who are "generally not sweet".
It's easier for women to be sweet(er) and guys... well, to be guys a.k.a indifferent and unaffected on "memorable days". A lot of my male friends would gladly do favors for me (as I would for them) but none of them ever thought of giving me a rose on Valentine's day.
I asked my officemate why he gave me a rose and you know what he said (aside from the obvious that he gave other girls the same thing)?
"'Cause I recall you mentioning you never had a decent Valentine."

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home