reading dismantling the da vinci code
My officemate, Lala, sent me an article about the Da Vinci Code. After reading it, I was disgusted with the idea of discrediting an author for his literary works by correcting the "facts" mentioned in the stories. I found Sandra Miesel's Dismantling the Da Vinci Code a tad overreacting to Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code.
Firstly, the book is fiction. Yes, it may be an allusion to reality, but one must not forget that it is a work of fantasy. Pretty much like Harry Potter, only it is grounded on artifacts that are deemed real byeveryone most of the [educated] people in this planet.
As a second point, I don’t think Dan Brown wanted his work to be a dogma else it would not be in the bestsellers list, rather in the textbook arena. If we were to believe in every movie made or book written about terrorism, Armageddon, extraterrestrials and conspiracy theories as reality, we would be confused with the different perspectives presented to us. Da Vinci Code is not to be believed as gospel truth. It is merely a tale woven to tickle a person's imagination.
Catholics need not defend itself to writings such as these because faith is faith, and not faith in religion. Believing in God requires a personal relationship with Him. This is not influenced by books written instigating the humanity of Christ, His descendants, or the search for a woman’s remains as the Holy Grail.
I’m a practicing Catholic. Though I do not believe in certain rituals and teachings, I respect them for what they are. I like reading books, especially Dan Brown's, but my faith never wavered because of his writings. It made me think and allowed my imagination to explore some ideas that never occurred to me before. But I still believe in my God as I did before reading the book and there was no change in that.
I realize that some people may believe his words to be true and be considered as facts. If it's a question of faith, if a person holds these true and uses it against his belief, then he really is no believer. After all, the communion with God is a leap of faith and not based on history, teachings, or fictional works.
Firstly, the book is fiction. Yes, it may be an allusion to reality, but one must not forget that it is a work of fantasy. Pretty much like Harry Potter, only it is grounded on artifacts that are deemed real by
As a second point, I don’t think Dan Brown wanted his work to be a dogma else it would not be in the bestsellers list, rather in the textbook arena. If we were to believe in every movie made or book written about terrorism, Armageddon, extraterrestrials and conspiracy theories as reality, we would be confused with the different perspectives presented to us. Da Vinci Code is not to be believed as gospel truth. It is merely a tale woven to tickle a person's imagination.
Catholics need not defend itself to writings such as these because faith is faith, and not faith in religion. Believing in God requires a personal relationship with Him. This is not influenced by books written instigating the humanity of Christ, His descendants, or the search for a woman’s remains as the Holy Grail.
I’m a practicing Catholic. Though I do not believe in certain rituals and teachings, I respect them for what they are. I like reading books, especially Dan Brown's, but my faith never wavered because of his writings. It made me think and allowed my imagination to explore some ideas that never occurred to me before. But I still believe in my God as I did before reading the book and there was no change in that.
I realize that some people may believe his words to be true and be considered as facts. If it's a question of faith, if a person holds these true and uses it against his belief, then he really is no believer. After all, the communion with God is a leap of faith and not based on history, teachings, or fictional works.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home