Sunday, May 16, 2004

the guy at gerry's

My happening for the weekend was an overnight with my college friends in commemoration of the overnight we had during our college years, labouring hours for projects and papers. This was also a pact made five years ago between six friends that the first one to get married is to treat the other girls out for one night. Sure enough, our bride-to-be Gilbey, treated us to dinner at Gerry's.

Before the said dinner, four of us went to catch an afternoon flick with three hunks namely, Brad Pitt, Orlando Bloom, and Eric Bana. Being the Ateneans that we are, we appreciated the movie for being true to the story.

Over dinner, we ended up debating if Achilles' mother is a goddess or not. Thank God for Cookie and the celfone, she told us that Achilles' mother is the sea goddess Thetis. With that aside, we voted on who was carrying the movie among our hunks. Of course with Paris' pathetic personality, Orlando Bloom was immediately voted off. They all voted for Brad Pitt, but I say Eric Bana.

Debating made me thirsty and I requested for a refill on my pink lemonade. With that, I noticed this guy in blue who was most probably working in Gerry's since he was talking with the crew, but there's no way to tell cause he wasn't wearing uniform or even an id tag.

Some thirty minutes later, I went to have a fag outside since all of my friends are non-smokers. After a stick and a half, the guy in blue (GB), came up to me and asked if I had a lighter.

I got it out and he lighted his stick. A puff after, this conversation happened (in English and verbatim as much as I can remember):

GB: "Do you come here often?"

Me: "Once a month or so..."

GB: (Smiles) "Do you live near here?"

Me: (Thinks twice) "Around here." (I live relatively near Eastwood. Relative is the key word.)

GB: "Are you going out on a gimik after this?" (Hmm, curious. Why does he ask?)

Me: "Yup. Actually, we just came from a movie. Troy."

GB: "Is it good?"

Me: "Yup."

GB: "I want to watch Van Helsing." (Are you hinting??)

Me: "I've seen it."

GB: "Is it good?"

Me: "Well, it's better than Hellboy."

GB: "I'm not interested in Hellboy."

Me: "I see. You're going to appreciate it, I think. It's quite ok."

GB: (Pauses) "Are you still in school?"

Me: (Smiles) "Do I look like I'm still in school?"

GB: (Laughs) "It's safer to guess lower than higher."

Me: "No, I'm working already."

GB: "Where?"

Me: "Ortigas." (Pauses) "I assume you work here."

GB: "Yes."

Me: "I see. I was hesistant to ask for the lemonade refill cause you weren't in uniform."

GB: (Smiles again) "I just started. In a month or so, you'll see me wearing uniform as well." (At that, I noticed he really had a nice smile.)

Me: "So you just got off school?"

GB: "You think I'm that young?"

Me: (Quoting him and admittedly flirting) "Well, it's safer to guess lower than higher."

GB: (Laughs) "No. So how old are you?"

Me: "25."

GB: "You don't look like it. You look much younger." (Was it my halter that made me look younger or was he flirting with me?)

Me: "So how old are you?"

GB: (Noticing my friends were leaving) "Are your friends of the same age?"

Me: "Yes." (Standing up) "You didn't answer my question..."

GB: "28."

Me: (Leaving) "Nice chatting with you."

GB: (Smiles)

Among all my friends, it was only Anna who noticed something was going one. With a sheepish smile, I told them everything that transpired. I knew he was about to ask for my name but we had to go. They said I could have told them about him and they would have waited. I knew that, but that wasn't me. I never got "picked up" before.

While waiting for the valet, I noticed from the corner of my eye, GB was searching for me from the second floor. He was crouching to see behind the trees. When he saw me, he hurried to the entrance. I knew I only had to look at him in the eye and he would walk up and talk to me. I didn't but I was conscious of him.

He lighted another cig. I got into the car and we drove off for our overnight.

Did he hesitate to ask my name? Cause I regretted not knowing his. All I remember is this tall, dark, cute guy, who had a very nice voice and smile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home