Wednesday, May 19, 2004

street dancing 101

Last night I went to the gym for my usual workout. As I was signing up for a slot on the treadmill, I noticed that the scheduled aerobics class for the night is Street Dancing. I didn't think twice and signed up for a slot there as well.

I've always loved dancing from ballroom to just plain disco dancing, but I've never tried street dancing before. After the bike and treadmill on the second floor, I went downstairs where they hold the classes. I was surprised that the audience of the street dancing class are high school students (mostly girls and gays). Here I am standing in the middle of teenagers kicking, dancing, and talking like they were all long time bestfriends, while we were all waiting for the instructor.

I was a 25 year old, out of place, feeling foolish to try out something new. This most likely 15-year old girl took the lead for the warm-ups since the instructor was late. Without words, she guided us through routines of somewhat warm-ups and dance steps. All the time I was berating myself, "what the hell are you getting yourself into??" I felt like I was the only one who didn't know what I was doing.

It was after that, while we waited (again!), that I got to know two newbies in the group. One was a talkative college student and the other a silent working girl (like me except for the silent part). When this guy arrived, I'm not sure if he really was the instructor or a reliever, he must have noticed that there were new people in the group that he tried to make the steps a bit simple and easy. (There was also a seven year old attendee in the class!)

With Black Eyed Peas' "Hey Mama" blasting in the background, we started dancing. The instructor was pretty patient (and cute!) and the gay beside us newbies were very kind to help us get through the steps. I got to the first half fairly well, improvising along the way, but the latter part steps seemed to elude me.

After 1.5 hours of learning the steps, and faking my way halfway through, I called it a night. Nevertheless, I will be back next week. Maybe I can convince my cousins and friends to join me, as well!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home